The Interactive Audio LabWelcome to the Interactive Audio Lab, headed by Bryan Pardo. We are in the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department of Northwestern University . We apply machine learning, signal processing, natural language processing, and database search techniques to make new auditory tools and interfaces.
A music search engine you can sing to
Estimate missing information in audio
Spatial Source Separation|
Amplify sounds coming from a particular direction
Separation by repetition, by repetition, by repetition, ...
Adaptive User Interfaces|
Don't learn the tool, let the tool learn you
Separate music sources in real time with the help of a musical score
Learn about the music
Make videos from music
Multi-pitch Estimation & Streaming
Track more than one pitch at once
Demos and Products
- Reverbalize is a tool for manipulating reverberation using natural language. Watch a video here. Try it out here.
- SynthAssist is a tool for programming audio synthesizers using using similar example recordings, such as vocal imitations. Watch a video here.
- Mixploration is an audio mixing tool for finding diverse mixes. Watch a video here.
- Just sing to Tunebot to find your song.
- SocialEQ is a tool that learns the meaning of sound adjectives from you.
- Toneboosters released TB EZQ, a zero-latency, VST-plugin implementation of our 2DEQ audio equilizer.
- SocialReverb, a dataset which has definitions for words in terms of how to manipulate a reverberation tool. By using this dataset, you can make new sorts of interactions with parametric reverberators possible, such as "make it boomy" or "make it sound like it is in a church"
- SocialEQ, a dataset which has definitions for words in terms of how to manipulate an equalization tool. Gives the relationship between a word like "warm" and how to change the equalization to make some audio "warm".
- Bach10, a versatile polyphonic music dataset for Multi-pitch Estimation and Tracking, Audio-score Alignment and Source Separation.
- Ground-truth Pitches for the PTDB-TUG speech pitch tracking dataset. The ground-truth pitches were calculated using Praat on the microphone signals.
- Jazz Score/Performance Database, a database of MIDI recordings performed by professional Chicago jazz pianists using lead sheets, useful as training and validation data for a jazz score following program.
- July 2014Zafar Rafii successfully defends his PhD dissertation and starts work at Gracenote. Congratulations, Zafar!
- July 2014Mark Cartwright presents research at IRCAM
- March 2014The Midwest Music Information Retrieval Gathering (MMIRG 2014) will be hosted by our lab on Saturday, June 14, 2014